I've been spending way too much time on eBay, building the American Duchess Historical Footwear collection ... out of real historic footwear!  My latest acquisitions ...


This single shoe is quite precious, with a ribbon rosette on the high vamp, and wide ribbons hand-stitched to the sides, to tie up around the ankle.



This slipper dates c. 1815-30.  It is straight-lasted, completely hand-sewn, and exhibits the sole shape, seaming, and vamp length typical of this period.  I am honored to have this lovely creature in my collection!

The second shoe is from a later date, c. 1830-50.


She has the characteristic square toe, straight last and narrow arch on the sole, plus evidence of now-lost, very narrow shoe strings that would have tied around the ankles.



I adore both of these little beauties!  They were both wedding shoes, made of white silk, lined with linen, and bound in galloon.  The square-toed flat has a kid leather insole, and both examples have quite thin leather outsoles.  I am imagining reproductions in dyeable white satin..... :-)
 
Top